Sweet & Tangy Apple Kale Salad
Kale. The delicious leafy green that only hippies used to eat has now become mainstream and for good reason. It’s delicious and nutritious! If you’ve tried kale before and didn’t like it, I encourage you stick around. Preparation is everything and I have a few tricks up my sleeve to make it oh so delicious.
The weekend is upon us and there are lots of festivities getting kicked off in anticipation of the Fourth of July. If you are looking for a tasty side dish to bring to your next BBQ, you’re in luck. This Sweet & Tangy Apple Kale Salad is tested and approved at our last BBQ and was quite the crowd pleaser.
Tangy yet sweet green apple, crunchy almond slivers, juicy cherry tomatoes, creamy feta, and crisp radishes pair nicely with the ‘superfood’…kale. Superfood is a bit of a loaded word these days and seems to be slapped on a lot of things. Superfood or not, kale is delicious when it is prepared correctly.
The trick to kale is that you have to massage it. No, that is not some kind of weird joke. You have to massage your kale. With salt. The salt breaks down the leaves that are rather bitter to start with and makes them significantly more tender and palatable. You know your kale massage is sufficient when the kale lets out a sigh of relaxation. Kidding, you know it’s ready when the leaves start to get shiny and turn a deep green. Usually about 5 minutes, but it really depends on how much kale you have.
One other tip, don’t eat the meaty stalks. Do yourself a favor and pull those out and you are left with tender pieces of massaged kale.
Next step is to add in your salad toppings, dressing, and give it a toss. The dressing couldn’t be easier and ranks high in the healthy category. Red wine vinegar, EVOO, a touch of sugar, and S&P and that’s it! Even approved by someone who prefers creamy salad dressings, I’m telling you there is something magical about this combination. You will have this salad prepped and ready to go in 15 minutes or less. It fits in nicely on a Sunday food prep day as the red wine vinegar helps to preserve the apples and keep the salad tasting fresh for a few days.
Salad mixins are endless, but I recommend jazzing it up by adding some dried fruit such as raisins, cranberries or cherries if you’re looking for something a little chewy. It won’t disappoint!
What is your favorite way to eat kale?
- 1 bag trimmed & washed kale, stems removed
- Salt (for massaging kale)
- 20 cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 6 radishes thinly sliced
- 1 golden delicious apple, cubed
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. coconut palm sugar (or regular sugar)
- Pepper to taste
- Massage the kale with salt until the leaves are a deeper green and shiny (about 5 minutes). Be sure to remove thick stems from the kale.
- Add toppings leaving apples on top. Whisk dressing ingredients together separately and pour over apples (vinegar will help preserve them) and res of the salad. Stir everything together.
- Let sit in refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving for best flavor to allow dressing to marinate.