Grilled Vegetable Trio
Looking for that perfect side dish to go with your grilled dinner? When the heat hits, like it has this week in Iowa, a full meal hot off the grill is a great option to keeping the heat outside while capturing the dwindling grilled flavors of summers end going strong.
Whether you’re having pork ribs, chicken legs, or steak, this grilled vegetable trio is a great match. This trio takes some of the best vegetables and combines it into one dish giving you the smoky char flavors in one convenient side dish. The perfect balance of crisp asparagus, sweet red pepper, and the starchy carb packed with nutrients, where have you been all my life sweet potatoes?
A few summers ago I bought my very own grill basket. My life was changed. You mean I don’t have to boil my vegetables to go with my grilled chicken? Cause there is no way I’m heating up my oven to roast them when the AC is struggling in this Iowa heat. Boiled vegetables have got to be the most bland preparation ever am I right? It has it’s place, although that is debatable, but the grill is far superior for ultimate flavor and texture. Yes, texture. I despise mushy vegetables.
Convenience tip, transport your grill basket on a cookie sheet lined with foil to keep from dripping through the basket holes leaving a trail to your kitchen. Why foil the cookie sheet? Less dishes, duh! Unless you aren’t on dish duty and prefer to save the earth then skip the foil. OR, use the foil anyway and recycle it when you’re done, winning.
Don’t have a grill basket? Buy one. You won’t be sorry.
Stay tuned for tomorrows recipe featuring Simple Grilled Chicken Bruschetta which was paired up with the Grilled Vegetable TRIO.
Do you have a kitchen appliance tool or gadget ‘changed your life’?
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced into cubes
- 1 red pepper, diced into ½ inch chunks
- 1 bundle of asparagus, cut into thirds
- Salt & pepper
- Garlic powder
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- Fresh rosemary, minced
- Prep vegetables as described above. For the asparagus, snap the stalky end where it naturally breaks and discard the end as this part will be tough. This is usually about 1-2 inches off the end of the stalk from grocery store asparagus
- Cook sweet potato in the microwave for 3 minutes on high stirring halfway through. You want the potato to slightly softened to give it a head start. May need to cook for 1 more minute depending on microwave.
- Place all vegetables in grill basket. Drizzle EVOO over top of vegetables and season with spices listed above.
- Stir the vegetables and repeat EVOO and spices. Stir.
- Cook on pre-heated grill for approximately 30 - 40 minutes on medium/high to high stirring vegetables periodically.