Crustless Quinoa Quiche
Crustless Quinoa Quiche, make it on Sunday and have a healthy and hearty breakfast to reheat all week long.
Finding the time to make breakfast during the week is not very feasible for most, us included. Now that smoothie season is starting to wind down, hot breakfast is starting to sound like the best way to start the day. But, who has time to make bacon and eggs every morning? Not us!
Crustless Quinoa Quiche is a great go to breakfast only requiring a 1 minute reheat in the microwave and you’re on your way. You can’t even make oatmeal in that amount of time!
Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah), ever tried it? Here are some reasons to give it a try, it’s a great source of protein, packed with vitamins and minerals, gluten free and low glycemic. It’s a great way to beef up the filling factor of this quiche without sending you into a carb coma or sugar crash 20 minutes later like the beloved cereal. Who doesn’t love cereal! Too bad cereal leaves you hungry an hour later.
Total time to make this recipe, 45 minutes (including bake time) and you have a healthy and nutritious breakfast for the week that will start your day on the right foot.
Best part, you can put just about anything in this quiche that you might have on hand. This version features mushrooms, grape tomatoes, onion, spinach, and fresh basil. Other additions could include crumbled chicken sausage, turkey bacon, cubed ham, zucchini, artichokes, the options are endless.
You know how I know this is a good recipe? Even Ramsey struggled to control his temptation.
He has a pretty rough life. An entire dish of food with in his reach for a good 30 minutes taunting him to dive in. He’s such a trooper! Don’t feel too bad for him, he get’s a fair amount of crumbs off the kitchen floor. 🙂
What is your go to breakfast during the week when time is limited? What’s your favorite “can’t resist” kind of cereal? I’m not sure I can decide, but if I had to it would be golden grahams or oatmeal squares, so good!
- 1/3 c. quinoa, dry
- 2/3 c. water or chicken broth
- 1 c. mushrooms, diced
- ½ red pepper, diced
- ¼ c. yellow onion, diced
- ¾ c. spinach, diced
- ½ c. grape tomatoes, quartered
- 10 eggs
- ¼ c. milk (I used unsweetened original almond milk)
- Pepper, lots!
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- Pinch crushed red chile flakes (optional)
- Add dry quinoa and water/chicken broth to a pot and boil for 15-20 minutes covered stirring occasionally until the liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, dice and prepare ingredients
- Grease pie plate with coconut oil, butter, or olive oil. Layer ingredients in pie plate starting with cooked quinoa, mushrooms, peppers, onion, spinach and grape tomatoes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, milk and spices until well beaten. Pour eggs over layered ingredients in pie dish.
- Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 25-35 minutes until eggs are set.
- Store in covered in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Reheat individual slices for 1 minute to 90 seconds in microwave, enjoy!
Additional add in options: crumbled chicken sausage, turkey bacon, cubed ham, zucchini, broccoli, artichokes, cheese.